Hi ladies! It's me, again. I want to share my 3rd stage notes :)
I sympathize with Joseph K. His longing for learning more about his trial and proving his innocence are meaningful. I think it is universal because anyone who is under the same condition would do the same thing. But the way he does it is quite different.
Argument: I think physical details are more important in this novel. It reflects the fact that we are produced by our environment. We can not change our destiny and we do not have enough power.
In terms of whether his time affected him or not, I can say that his personal life has affected him more than his times. We do not see the major issues of that time such as nationalism or racism. Instead of political issues, the relations with women or corruption of the system are more important.
I think argument is clear: no matter what you do, if the system has judged you you can not change the result at all. You are trapped.
Do I agree? Yes. The book is "true" in the sense of suggesting there is no should be. Although the story is far from being convincing, the message it conveys is still valid today. We are trapped in corrupted systems!
Hi Esin! And others:)
ReplyDeleteHere are my final thoughts on this...as far as the argument and whether I agree. I think Kafka is saying that we are not free, that we are bound by circumstances, etc...On the existential level, the nature of the human condition is that we are not free.
However, I disagree. Kafka (or at least, Joseph K) assumes an obligation to the law, to know the law and to engage the system. He forgets his fundamental choice of rejecting a relationship with the system.
What would have happened if he ignored the summons? Could he find a personal freedom outside the Law which he assumes is imposed on him?
I think of the story of the Doorkeeper. Who created the Door and set the Keeper before it? And who imposes the obligation for the man to go through the door? And actually, can the Keeper keep anyone from going through if they chose?
Kafka leaves me with more questions. I wish he had been able to finish his book, however it has been a great opportunity to explore these ideas for the first time.
Thanks!
Hello Ladies,
ReplyDeleteI am half way through-our group is much slower that the Ann Arbor group. I appreciated your comments. I can't help but think of the truth of Kafka's them for all humanity. We are all condemned to die-and many people are unaware of why? as K. Never really finds out why, or what crime he has committed. What higher power has he offended. it is so arbitrary for him. It seems that this is Kafka's view of life and the world.