Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Henrietta Stockpole; literacy matters!

At first I just thought Henrietta was hilarious. But the more I delve into the roles each character plays, the more I see Henrietta as the Truth-teller and -reader of the story. At the beginning she seems to blunt almost rude. She is nosy and has too many ideas for her friend Isabel. As I re-read sections to prepare for the second and third stages, I see that Henrietta is a more purposeful character. We learn from H how to view Isabel. Should we view her as an object for our entertainment or should we view her as a work of art, worthy in and of itself? H. teaches the characters as well as us.

She is a newspaperwoman in the narrative. ( James actually goes so far as to describe her in newspaper metaphors: "She rustled, she shimmered...Ralph saw at a glance that she was as crisp and new and comprehensive as a first issue before folding. From top to toe she had probably no misprint." (chp. 10)) But more, she is the investigator and reporter for us, the reader. She alone knows the Isabel, pre-Europe and (she keeps telling us that she has changed) she has the final word on Isabel in the novel.

Ralph, who we all come to love by the end of the book, learns form H. how to be a good friend (i.e. "reader" of Isabel rather than "user" of Isabel.) H. tells him that Isabel is "drifting out to sea" and he must help stop her (chp. 13) But we know later that Ralph instead of pulling her back, wants to "put wind in her sails," which he does and comes to deeply regret. But Ralph changes his view of Isabel over the course of the book...instead of living only to be entertained by her, he dies without knowing her outcome...in a sense letting go of her as an object. Chp. 39 R. learns to "read" Isabel.  And by the end of the book Ralph and Henrietta become close friends.

The reason that H. wants Isabel to marry Goodwood is because he is the only character who does not want to change Isabel or use her for their own entertainment/vanity. GW wants to anchor her as herself, a Work of Art in and of itself, to be admired for itself alone; finished, without being "flawless," like MM. But GW needs H.'s help at the end of the novel to understand Isabel--he can't "read" her. Also, H. gives GW the "key".

Also, Isabel relies on her imagination and it deceives her, while Henrietta relies on facts not appearances. Isabel begins to read less and less while in Europe while H. maintains her metaphor of Text.

Look for images of H. as light (Ralph takes over this image too), truth or searching out the truth, reading/text, seeing/clarity. Also Check out chp 44, 47

Ok, enough on that!

your thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. Super helpful Lynette! I love the concept of the "readers" vs "users" of Isabel. I still feel confused about GW's role in the story, he seems so vague and difficult to understand. I agree that he doesn't seem to want to change Isabel like Osmond would wish, but his intentions/motivation remain unclear to me. He just doesn't seem believable. I'm curious based on your thoughts here what you think where LWarburton falls in all this. Did he want to change Isabel? I didn't really get that impression, he didn't seem to have selfish reasons for loving her compared to Ralph or Osmond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think LW is important for three reasons. 1. He is european and a lord. James was big on ex-pats also lordship represented more than anything what England/aristocracy/tradition stood for. 2. He brings in political ideas of the day which I never explored...boring. 3. b/c Isabel is able to refuse him at the beginning for representing tradition/money/success (all the things the Os. covets) and the crux of the end is will Isabel release him from her power for Pansy's sake--or has she become too much like Os.

    Agree or disagree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your attention to the "newspaper" metaphors of Henrietta. Also, the way you articulated why Goodwood would have been the best for Isobel:"anchor her as herself,a work of Art in and of itself. finished without being flawless,. ."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself wondering along with Holly what makes GW different from LW in regards to their relationship with Isabel and why you both prefer GW over lord W. I Could not understand GW and I don't think he understood Isabel like Ralph did. Henrietta would have been more likable if she would have stopped pushing GW on Isabel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Henrietta is getting lots of "press" within our reading group. James doesn't give us her portrait as he does Isabel...rather, we get an actual photo of her through this novel. It was nice to feel like I had a grasp on at least one of the characters from the very beginning of the novel.

    Side note. I was looking into baby names for my November baby and checked the meaning of Henrietta. I laughed out loud when I read that it meant "owner of an estate." Lord Worburton should have thrown this fact in her face when she was pestering him about his property.

    ReplyDelete